Recent News

Saturday 24 April 2010

My Name is John Doe

People in Thailand seem to struggle to say “Nick.” They consistently pronounce it “Neck.” This is so consistent that in moments of paranoia I wonder if I'm pronouncing it like that. They're nearly as hopeless with my surname. Even if I spell it out for them in Thai, many still seem to think I'm saying Neck. The final was the fact that Nick is apparently a girl's name in Thailand. Thus, during Songkran, where I'd otherwise have to listen to Neck all day, I pioneered John Doe. It turns out everyone can pronounce this and since none of them understand its morbid associations, I get to snicker quietly when they say it.

I won't be updating this blog any more - go to The Penang Blog to see my new and exciting Malaysia blog!

2 comments:

Mr Gray said...

H

Penang Blogger said...

Thanks for the comment, it have me a lot of pause for thought. I then decided instead of making things easier for people, I was going to tell them my name was "Theo-Evans" because they would pronounce it "Tea-oh-eh-wan" and I could correct them endlessly.

Post a Comment