Recent News

Friday 16 April 2010

Wet T-shirts and Rats

I'm currently experiencing my first Thai water festival, Songkran, which starts on April 13th, apparently. Much like bonfire night in the UK (except in Thailand teenagers attack strangers with water instead of fireworks) the fun starts several days before the official date. Songkran is now a nationwide water fight that seems to last for about 7 days. Gangs of children line the roadsides splashing passing cars and motorbikes and everyone gets very wet.

What's nice to see is that, at least where I am, if you're walking or driving along, the gangs of people will ask if you want to be splashed, rather than just bunging a bucket of water in your face, which is how I hear things are in Bangkok. I made an interesting spur of the moment decision to walk 15km down the mountain to Mae Chan town this morning and while I was there I picked up a sort of rocket-water-gun thing for a bargain 25 baht. It's very difficult to fill up and fire which largely precludes the younger villagers using it, giving me a great tactical advantage. Contracting my man-beef with maximum force I cause the rocket to eject a very powerful jet of water which at close range will soak anyone. This was especially satisfying when I blasted the boy in the yellow t-shirt who kept waiting until everyone else's guns, especially mine, were empty and then appearing and shooting them, while staying dry himself. Coward!

It's been a fun several days, but let's face it, a water fight is a water fight and I would like to see the spectacle of the real Songkran when EVERYONE has a water fight.

Despite the fun of Songkran, a real blow to my enjoyment of life came today when I discovered that a rat had got at my protein powder. Clearly he didn't have ambitions of larger and more muscular buttocks, since he hadn't finished the bag and eaten 100 times his bodyweight in whey, but regardless, because I don't want Weilles Disease or Bad AIDS or Scurvy I now have to throw away about £15-worth of contaminated “legal non-anabolic non-steroids.” Since protein powder costs about a million per kilogramme in Thailand I won't be buying any more. Thanks, you little rat. I've decided to give the contaminated protein powder to the piglets to make them enormously muscular and hopefully able to attack and kill rats.

I won't be updating this blog any more - go to The Penang Blog to see my new and exciting Malaysia blog!

0 comments:

Post a Comment