Recent News

Thursday 22 July 2010

Burn the witch!

Ever the intrepid adventure, when it was suggested that I try some Akha healing techniques to try and help speed up my shoulder getting better, I jumped at the chance, even though since that "tribe" programme whenever I think of traditional medicine the words "penis inversion" always spring to mind. I didn't ask for a detailed explanation of what would happen, but I was told that it would hurt.

It turned out my shoulder would essentially be repeatedly stabbed with a red hot metal spike, before a black paste derived from the bone of a mountain goat would be applied to the branded shoulder, which would then be slapped with a small bamboo paddle.

The actual stabbing was admittedly 3 bouts of around 20 pricks each, which was relatively unpleasant, as I felt and heard my skin melt and fizzle. That said, it didn't hurt much.

I don't know what the black paste derived from a bone does, but my guess is that the branding stimulates blood flow to the area, which speeds up the healing process. I'm told that if it's not better tomorrow I will have 5 rounds of pricking, then the next day 7, then 9.

Definitely an interesting method of healing and we'll see if it helps before I have to undergo 20 rounds and get slapped with a larger paddle.

I won't be updating this blog any more - go to The Penang Blog to see my new and exciting Malaysia blog!

0 comments:

Post a Comment