Recent News

Tuesday 13 July 2010

Haircuts! Chickens! Tickets! Oh my.

I haven't made a post for ages because I haven't had the internet, but I've been in Thailand for 350 days today, with only 4 days in Singapore and a 15 minute sojourn in Burma. I don't regret spending 99.9% of my time in one country. It's just 54 days until I fly back to the UK to begin the Bar Professional Training Course, but though I'll be very sad to leave Thailand, in many ways I'm looking forward to going home. I'm flying with Air Asia from Kuala Lumpur. My flight has no entertainment, no meals included, rubbish baggage allowance and none of the other lovely things you get on one of the Arab carriers. The plus is that this one way ticket cost just 8,000 THB, or £140. I have to get to Malaysia first but it's still a great price.

I got a hair cut the other day and the barber insisted I choose my style from the display on the wall. I turned to face the photographic selection of late-1980s hair styles so faded the human eye would be unable to see them correctly if they hadn't been so awful.

I eventually saw a more recent photo of a man on a magazine sticking out of a draw, and asked for that. Naturally the result was nothing like the photo. For £0.80 I'll live.

A baby chicken "imprinted" onto me the other day (it was a late hatchling) and so I'm trying to keep it alive. The main problem with chicks is that if they get cold, they die. During the day that's not a problem and I basically chuck him into the vegetable garden I made, sprinkle a load of food and then occasionally play with him, but at night it gets cold. I'm having to approach mother chickens tucking in for the night, distract them with one hand and stuff the little black baby under her with the other. Both foster mother and child are too stupid to work out my trick, at least so far. I'm about 80% sure this chick will die at some point so I'm not giving it a name.

I won't be updating this blog any more - go to The Penang Blog to see my new and exciting Malaysia blog!

2 comments:

Jeremy Towers said...

Pictures! Show us evidence of your scalping! Pictures!

Mr Gray said...

Its name is Didgeridoo!

sorted

Post a Comment