Recent News

Monday 3 May 2010

Go Back to Burma

A consistently interesting Thai blog with a sort of social-media/technology slant I read did a post about a Guardian article where the writer slated Thailand in favour of Burma, citing rudeness on public transport as a reason for boycotting Siam. I'd never personally experienced this, until now...

I was waiting at the bus stop for the bus to my elephant camp. When it arrived and I waved it down, the driver stopped 10 metres away from me. Sighing, I picked up my bags and trudged over to the bus (in the baking heat). As I walked, the bus driver impatiently started honking at me. Obviously I was in the wrong there. (Incidentally, the driver honked the horn over 100 times during the 25km journey, usually for no reason whatsoever).

Once on the bus, things were looking cramped. It appeared that the driver had decided to bring his family to work today. His wife was acting as ticket conductor, and his two children were each occupying a double seat. As I motioned for them to move up, they openly defied me. Mum, watching this, naturally did nothing and before I could stab one of them and toss his writhing, dying body into the aisle, the driver immediately planted his lead right foot on the floor. I quickly flopped into the only free seat before the G-forces splattered me against the rear of the bus, next to a little bird woman. As the Gs dropped, the conductor wanted to walk past me. I'm not a massive person but I'm bigger than most Thai people and this bus was not built with anyone over 5'5 in mind. Given then I was also holding a big bag, I had to stand up and lean over the bird lady. Again, obviously I was in the wrong as the conductor loudly announced “Stupid (white) foreigner.” Right, because you are allowing your bratty children to snooze on double seats, I'm the bad one here. I'm the worm, you're the king. I did want to retaliate and call her a cretinous, mannerless cow, but since here husband was driving the bus it probably wouldn't have been smart. Besides, humiliating someone clearly as rude and ignorant as this woman isn't going to do anything beyond make her more bitter towards the next foreigner who comes along. I contented myself by being excessively loud and overly detailed in my Thai explanation of where I was going, so everyone knew I'd heard and understood what she said.

The thing is, there are rude people, people with absolutely no class, and xenophobes in every country. This woman was probably not even been a real conductor. I'm certainly not going to pack up and go to Burma as a result.

I won't be updating this blog any more - go to The Penang Blog to see my new and exciting Malaysia blog!

2 comments:

Mr Gray said...

You show them Nick, you should have IRONFISTed them all, in a good way.

Did the old triathlon for uni again on weekend, along with Tom. I got 1hr19mins, which was 5 mins faster than last yr. Whoop. Tom just beat Matts time which he was pleased with.

Kristen is still aboard the Moseley Train, although ive told him that exam time is coming up, and its important, so........

Didnt get that job for Lloyds, aparently they dont want me, they said it was due to rushed interview questions, but i suspect it was because they saw me as a threat, they thought i would make it to the top too soon, become CEO within a year, and then knowing me, raise everyones bonuses sky high. Which would of course bring about the 2 economic crisis. But i would have a brand new Ferrari and a 102ft yacht.

Keep up the posts, im enjoying them.

Over and Oli

Penang Blogger said...

Thanks for your comment, it's nice to hear you're still triathloning. Has Kristen given up being Lance Armstrong yet?

I recently deposed the CEO of the village commerce board and I've been in charge of all our investments for the last two months. Like you, I've raised bonuses to unheard of levels. The general public is going mad.

Post a Comment