Recent News

Saturday 29 May 2010

Islamic Fundamentalists Call for Death Penalty, Misunderstand what the UN is.

In many Thai villages, there is a megaphone on top of a big pole. This appears to be a source of much anger for many expats who get married and move into villages. The reason is that the megaphone is used to blast out very distorted and loud messages that the village has no choice but to hear, usually at 6am and often several times a day.

I can understand why this would be annoying and I was worried about this when I moved to the village. Luckily the speaker is only used once, at 6am here, opening with a song, and since I go to bed at 9.30 it's no problem and it's nice to wake up to a tune. The point of this rambling flow of words is that this morning, for some reason, they decided to use a song by Akon. So I woke up wanting to make up right now, na na and wishing we'd never broke up right now na na.

While buying pig food to keep the pig I massage alive, a taxi man called me over to translate for two whiteys who were having problems. They wanted to go about 36km up the mountain but didn't want to pay 400 baht. Given that there's no guarantee of a return fare and he's driving a pickup that probably does 12 miles per gallon, that's actually a fair price. Anyway, for some reason, when the two people asked me questions about myself, I told lies. I said that I was a doctor and that I was on holiday for 3 months. I don't know why. Do you?

Finally, the second tallest person in the village (after me) was collecting honey and got stung in the face by bees. His face got all swoled up and when I saw him I laughed so hard. It reminded me of when this slightly uppity lady who drove dangerously opened a bottle of pepsi and it fizzed. Instead of closing it, she fully opened the bottle and it went all up in her face and all over the meal.

I won't be updating this blog any more - go to The Penang Blog to see my new and exciting Malaysia blog!

5 comments:

Natalie said...

This is, without a doubt,the weirdest blog post you have ever written.

Maybe you pretended you were a doctor because you were annoyed at the couple for being typical farangs, demanding everything to be cheap, and so you just didn't feel like disclosing your life to them because they weren't worth it?

I can't believe how much that Akon song plays in Thailand. I was singing it in my sleep by the end of my trip. I must have heard it about a million times. I find it slightly alarming that it has even reached the villages though!

Penang Blogger said...

No, that was the odd thing, this man and lady were alright and though the price they were given was fair, it was expensive and they said they'd wait for more people and if they didn't come, they'd go to mae sai, which was reasonable. So I don't know why I lied. Or what they thought when I openly spoke thai or that I got into the back of a pickup with a bag of catfish.

Speaking of mae sai, see my upcoming post. I'm sure you're a beautiful girl, thanks for commenting.

Mr Gray said...

hey beatbox master. OP is the place to be right nah nah nah nah, revising right nah nah nah nah, finish on thursday at 11.45......nah nah nah nah!

Mr Matthew Grellier Ladies and Gentlemen, he is coming to the abode soon, and will hear stories glore, looking forward to it.

Did you not think about if they started t ask you questions about medical issues, like where is your heart? and how to do a lung transplant?

My project for the summer is to create a fixed gear bike, ive stripped down my old frame, and the spray paint is on its way, ill take some pics for you to see.

Also i might be doing a cycle ride of the coast of britain, but more about that when i have more details!

Anonymous said...

"Speaking of mae sai, see my upcoming post. I'm sure you're a beautiful girl, thanks for commenting." huh?

Penang Blogger said...

Wanderlust - just checking you're paing attention.

Oliver - If they had asked me questions about it, I'd have changed tact and said I was a doctor of nutrition and tried to sell them phytonutrients.

Post a Comment