Recent News

Sunday 30 May 2010

Crossing the border to smuggle pepsi and shampoo into Burma

As every dirty immigrant who goes to live in Thailand for an extended period of time, the government doesn't welcome you with open arms. 30 day visas are given on arrival from airports, but only 15 days from land crossings. This means you get some people who have to leave the country every two weeks!

I am only required to leave every 90 days and the Mae Sai border is only about an hour away. Still, ever the tight-fisted git who'd rather not pay $10 for a 2 second stay in Burma, I tried to beat the system. Having left Thailand, instead of going over the bridge to Burmese immigration, I just walked over to the incoming immigration office and tried to get back in.

I was 99% clear until the immigration officer opened by passport and searched hopelessly for my stamp from Burma. He sternly told me to go to Burma first. When I told the guys at the other end I wasn't shopping in Burma, they seemed a little sad.

So whilst there's no requirement to actually enter Burma, you do still need a stamp from their immigration.

I won't be updating this blog any more - go to The Penang Blog to see my new and exciting Malaysia blog!

0 comments:

Post a Comment