Recent News

Wednesday 9 June 2010

Stop Cheating on Me...

Most people returning from a 3 week trip to Thailand will be wearing half-inch thick cataract-style rose-tinted glasses, and most will tell you about how honest the Thai people are. This post isn't about the way Thai people openly point out aspects of your physique to you (What? I have a big nose? Are you SURE?! In 22 years I've NEVER touched my face or seen a reflective surface. But - oh my god! - there it is!) or the seemingly instinctive urge to overcharge foreigners many Thai people have. Instead, it points out that: People who think Thailand is the land of honesty have never encountered... Schoolchildren.

In Thailand, appearances are very important. Style over substance isn't a bad thing. Better to turn up to work and do nothing at all than not show up. Better to dress nicely and perform poorly than not shaving and do well - Just look at what websites for prospective english teachers is Thailand outline as tips to get a job
1) Speak english
2) Wear a shirt and tie and shave in the photo you supply in your application
3) Be white.

Anyway, the style over substance notion applies in schools - it's preferable for students to complete homework and get a top score than for them to understand it. This basically means answer copying from the few actual good students is incredibly rife. I see it myself. Even in higher education, the extent of plagiarism riles western teachers.* It's just acceptable.

Today, I was asked to help with some English homework. By "help" I mean "complete." The student whose book was presented to me was not in sight and I asked what the point in me doing this was - how was anyone going to learn anything - and refused to do it. This got a bad reception and I was the bad guy!

If the emphasis is simply on completing homework by any means, actual education goes out the window, endorsing dishonesty and laziness at the same time.

10 years in that sort of educational environment MUST carry over into adulthood. Wouldn't you agree?

To any argument that says this is just a cultural difference and no better or worse than western education, I say this: In Thailand, you need a university degree to work in a 7/11. That's the quality of education that results from this pedagogical environment.

*The above is less applicable to the top 3 in Bangkok and possibly the university in Chiang Mai.

I won't be updating this blog any more - go to The Penang Blog to see my new and exciting Malaysia blog!

0 comments:

Post a Comment